Cynthia James, PhD, DMin, DD
Senior Advisor, Academic Affairs
Dr. James has served over 2,000 congregations nationally and internationally, providing applied theological training and support in leadership development and congregational health. She has served as a national & international speaker in Finland, Estonia, several cities in South Africa, Istanbul, as well as numerous locations in the Caribbean and Virgin Islands.
She has been instrumental in the planting of churches and providing pastoral care to pastors throughout the Western Region of the U.S, including HI and Guam, as well as serving missionaries in 94 countries.
Dr. James has held full-time and adjunct faculty positions at Rutgers University, The University of Pittsburgh, California State University East Bay, Simpson College, and Allegheny Community College.
Additionally, she has been the recipient of numerous awards, which include: Woman of the Year (UMC, Pgh. PA.), National Science Fellowship, Danforth Scholar, Educational Testing Service Intern, and the coveted United States President’s Volunteer Action Award.
Among her favored recognitions are a former board member for the Family Research Council, Earl Lecturer for the Graduate Theological Union, Guest Graduate Lecturer for Princeton University Seminary, and papers presented at Boston University and the University of Maryland. Dr. James was highly honored to receive recognition as an Honorary Member of the United States Army 3rd Brigade, 91st Division (Training Support). She also treasures repeated opportunities to have served as preacher and lecturer at the Hampton Minister’s Conference and expert consultant for several educational and faith-based television and movie productions. Dr. James was previously featured in a 26-week preaching series on Christian Television and hosted two radio broadcasts. (The current broadcast recently completed a six-year run.)
Among the positions she is most honored to have held are:
- Current tenure as Associate Pastor/ Director of Education at The Potter’s House, Dallas (7 years), Advisor – Academic Affairs at Jakes Divinity School (current),
- Director of Pastoral Care, Congregational Health, and the International Youth Convention of the Church of God, Anderson, IN, Vice President of City Team Ministries (7 years),
- Nearly 40 years as a Senior Pastor and Regional Director of two Jurisdictions in the Western Region (15 years).
- Dr. James was consecrated to the office of Bishop in 2001 and has previously served on the Board of Trustees for Warner Pacific College, the So. California School of Ministries, the San Francisco Council of Churches, the World Bishop’s Council, and (currently) the Joint College for African American Bishops and Asbury Seminary Board of Trustees.
- Her passionate interest continues in the following areas: Practical Theology, Pastoral Care (which includes Spiritual Formation) and executive leadership development, and developing a greater acceptance for a Psycho-Theological approach to scripture.
- Dr. James shares a current interest with her spouse Alvin James (of nearly 50 years), in opportunities for global exchange and development, particularly with emerging African Nations.